Friday, January 30, 2009

3 days of H-E-double Hockey Sticks....

I loathe snow days......LOATHE THEM. Oh sure, I am grateful that the school is all concerned about my children's safety and I don't really want my babies stuck on bus somewhere just waiting to be pulled out of a snow drift. BUT COME ON!!!!!!!


I have had about as much as I can stand. Not only do snow days add more kids to my group but it adds more stress to me. MORE STRESS to me = LESS NICE Ms. Trista

So today is Friday...day three of this never-ending snow vacation. I have been stuck in this house since last Sunday. It's maddening, I am going crazy...and seriously rethinking this stay at home business.....I need some alone time. I wanna vacation.

Pros of snow days...

Kids are safe at home
No scrambling to get everyone dressed and out the door.
Hurray for PJ's all day.
I make a little bit more money.


Cons of Snow Days

Extra kids..because the Parents still have to work and bring school age siblings as well as the regulars.
Extra kids because my own children are here.
Extra kids means extra meals to be prepared, extra times in the bathroom, extra noise, extra messes, extra questions being asked, extra annoyances
School age children don't usually take naps..which means NO afternoon break time for me.
The extra kids mess up the dynamics of my day
Extra fights between my own kids because they don't get a break from each other
The house gets extra messy because I am so tired at the end of the day that I have been going to bed at like 7:30.
The day lasts extra long

See a pattern here?...EXTRA pain in the butt.



And added to that is a 3 month old baby that has been CRYING THE ENTIRE TIME HE IS HERE today. I feel so bad for him. Nothing I do will make him stop. Now I understand why mother lions eat their young...they probably eat the ones that cry all the time. :)

It's hard for me because neither of my children cried much. Not unless they needed something...food or diaper changes. AND I am not a person who gets thrills out of sitting around holding babies "just because" so I guess it was best that my kids didn't cry. Plus, I have a few other kids to care for and I can't give all my attention to him, even IF I wanted to. SO... I do what I can for this grumpy little man. I change his diaper, I feed him, I swaddle him, I give him some love and when I need to do something else I put him down...But he just screams no matter what I do. What else am I supposed to do? Anyone? Anyone? Bueler?

He's screaming as I am typing this but I had to take a breather. I could feel that aggravation welling up in my throat...You mothers know what I am talking about. That aggravation that makes you want to chuck the kid out the window and be done with it. LOL! OR yell back "WHY ARE YOU CRYING?" But I don't because he is just a sweet baby, after all, and he will stop crying...eventually, I hope. Please stop crying, baby! I have a feeling that I would far less annoyed at the fact that this baby is crying for no reason despite me doing everything I CAN to make him stop...IF I wasn't so stressed from all these FRIGGIN SNOW DAYS.

You know how on an airplane, they tell you to put your oxygen mask on first and then help your child...because how can you remain calm if you can't breathe? That's what I am doing....I am putting on my oxygen mask (Ipod) and checking out of my responsibilities right now. I put all the big kids in front of a movie, all the babies down for a nap and everyone is resting quietly (except for the screaming baby) and I am TAKING A BREAK. I am recharging. Putting in new batteries. And they will all just have to wait until I am ready to take the oxygen mask off.

Much Love!




PS. I can't wait until the kids go back to school......PLEASE I AM BEGGING FOR THE KIDS TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL!

No comments: