Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Skin deep

An after school conversation with Jayden:


"Hey son, did you get to watch the inauguration today?"

"Yep. That speech was sooooo long. I thought I was going to fall asleep."

(I think to myself that 19 minutes does seem like a very long time when you are seven)

"Did you think it was cool?"

"Yeah but Mommy? I am so glad that I wasn't born black way back in the old days."

"What?"

"I am glad that I didn't live back in the old days and have black colored skin."

(way to be politically incorrect, son)

"Oh? Why?"

"Because they had to sit at the back of the bus."

(Silly me! Here I was thinking he was referring to the OLDEN days as in the 1800's and slavery but really he was talking about the 60's...gah!)


"Well, you always complain about not being able to sit at the back of the bus. "(snicker)

"MOM-MEE. Don't try to be funny. This is serious. They HAD to. Everyone was mean to them. It wasn't fair that they couldn't sit where they wanted to."

"Oh sorry. And you don't think that's right?"

"No. It's not right."

Do you think skin color matters?

"No mommy. It's just skin. people are people. I don't even notice what color people's skin is. I don't even know why people care so much about it. It's so stupid."

(I bet he will after today...)



Oy. I may be a republican at heart. I may not agree with President Obama's politics 100%. But even I could see the magnitude of today....It really was quite amazing. My seven year old gets it. He understands that people are just people....and I have to wonder if we have finally made it here in America. Are we finally to a point where generations are being raised blind to the color of skin?

God Speed, President Obama. I pray you can deliver on your promises...for our sake, as well as yours.

No comments: